Pages

google analytics

Monday, August 8, 2016

To Be Divisive Like Jesus


To be like Jesus!
This hope possesses me,
in every thought and deed
this is my aim, my creed.
To be like Jesus!
This hope possesses me;
his spirit helping me,
like him I’ll be.

(Gowans and Larsson)

I am sometimes accused by a few of my fellow Salvationists (members of The Salvation Army) of being “divisive” and a “troublemaker” -in part because I have argued for a more affirming position towards LGBTQI people. I don’t think it’s true. I really don’t think of myself as a trouble maker or as a rabble rouser. I am not trying to cause division – in fact I have argued (and continue to do so) for unity within The Salvation Army despite our differences.

But if (and that is a big if) my accusers are correct, and I am divisive, I am still far less divisive than Jesus. Perhaps I just need to try harder to be more like Jesus.

“I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! … Do you think I came to bring peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.” Luke 12: 49 – 53 NIV



Gowans, John and John Larrson. “To Be Like Jesus” The Salvation Army Songbook. The Salvation Army, London. 2015. Print











No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails