Pages

google analytics

Saturday, February 7, 2015

O God of Earth and Altar

I've discovered a new hymn (well, new to me...) that I really like: O God of Earth and Altar. And I like it for four reasons:

1)  I really like the words.

O God of earth and altar,
bow down and hear our cry,
our earthly rulers falter,
our people drift and die;
the walls of gold entomb us,
the swords of scorn divide,
take not thy thunder from us,
but take away our pride.

- the other two verses are pretty swell as well.

2) I like that it was written by G. K. Chesterton

3) I like the tune, or at least one of the tunes to which it can be sung:  a Welsh melody, Llangloffan.




4) And I like that the British heavy metal band, Iron Maiden, used a portion of it in their song, Revelations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails