Pages

google analytics

Friday, January 2, 2015

Arise


All right. All right. Knock off the noise.
Can’t you let an old man sleep?
I’m up. Let me get the light, and I’m up.
Why the hell you come bangin’ on my door
                in the middle of the night, anyway?

Kings? Kings you say? Around here?
We don’t see royalty in these parts too often;
they breathe air more rare
than us down here in the shanties and the ruins,
and their feet tread ground
less soiled with shit and stain.

I’d just like to see them with their camels
stooping low through these close quartered alleys,
with steamer trunks filled with strange treasure.
What a thrill! What a sight!


All right, all right. I’m up;
in the middle of the night, I’m up.
Where is this light and glory?

(Isaiah 60: 1-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails