Pages

google analytics

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Non-Responsive Response from the President


Several weeks ago, during the height of the violence in the most recent outbreak of violence between Israel and Palestine, I wrote to President Barack Obama. I wrote to encourage him to not allow Israel to have access to the massive stockpile of weapons and armaments that the United States keeps in Israel. 

I received the following response today.  It thanks me for writing, without actually addressing the specifics of my letter. 


Dear Jeff:


Thank you for writing.  There are no easy solutions to the challenges facing the Israelis and the
Palestinians, but I want you to know that when you send me an email, I am listening.

We cannot give up on the search for an end to this conflict.  Too much is at stake, and it is the right thing to do.  Our Nation’s commitment to a just and sustainable resolution is unwavering, and we will continue to offer constructive approaches and encourage the Israelis and the Palestinians to work together to resolve this conflict.  To move forward, both parties must face hard choices and make difficult decisions.  Only they can accomplish the compromises necessary for two independent states to live sidebyside in peace and security.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts.  Please know my Administration will keep looking for steps both the Israelis and the Palestinians can take to build the trust and the confidence upon which lasting peace will depend.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails