Pages

google analytics

Monday, February 18, 2013

Jesus Uncrossed

Apparently some people were offended by Saturday Night Live's recent parody, Djesus Uncrossed.  Some people are perpetually offended.  Oh well.  I wasn't offended.




I wasn't offended because 1) Jesus doesn't need me to be offended for him and 2) it's a fairly accurate picture of the Jesus that I think many Christians secretly worship.

Consider Mark Driscoll's (in)famous quote: "There is a strong drift toward the hard theological left.  Some emergent types [want] to recast Jesus as a limp-wrist hippie in a dress with a lot of product in his hair, who drank decaf and made pithy Zen statements about life while shopping for the perfect pair of shoes.  In Revelation, Jesus is a prize fighter with a tattoo down his leg, a sword in his hand and the commitment to make someone bleed.  That is a guy I can worship.  I cannot worship the hippie, diaper, halo Christ because I cannot worship a guy I can beat up."  (Relevant Magazine)

I also think that  many American Christians seem to want this uncrossed Jesus - a Jesus who defends the 2nd Amendment so he can put down the bad guys with a well placed bullet.  After all, "The only thing  that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."  (Wayne LaPierre - the NRA's executive vice president)  The gun toting Jesus is the ultimate good guy, right?

The SNL parody is funny because it is grounded in truth (as all good satire is.)  The "historical revenge fantasy" Jesus is the Jesus that many Christians seem to be worshiping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails