Pages

google analytics

Friday, May 18, 2012

Ante-Nicene Fathers – The Martyrdom of Ignatius - Ignatius vs. Bertrand Russell




I’ve been thinking about this quote from the philosopher Bertrand Russell for a couple of days now, contrasting it in my mind with the apparent eagerness of Ignatius of Antioch to become a martyr for his faith.  I’m not sure which of these two attitudes I would more closely align myself.

On the one hand, I greatly respect Russell’s honesty and humility.  What if I’m wrong?    There’s no delusion of grandeur in that attitude, no arrogance. But on the other hand is Ignatius’ certainty – a certainty which has inspired him to live and to die in the manner of his lord.  He is not ashamed. He is not afraid. 

“All the ends of the world, and all the kingdoms of this earth, shall profit me nothing.  It is better for me to die for the sake of Jesus Christ, than to reign over all the ends of the earth.  ‘For what is a man profited, if he gain the whole world, but lose his own soul?’  I long after the Lord, the Son of the true God and Father, even Jesus Christ.   Him I seek, who died for us and rose again.  Pardon me, brethren; do not hinder me in attaining to life; for Jesus is the life of believers.  … Suffer me to obtain pure light: when I have gone thither I shall indeed be a man of God.  Permit me to be an imitator of the passion of Christ my God.”[i]

The Martyrdom of Ignatius claims to have been written by eyewitness to his death in the Roman coliseum – though some have challenged this claim.   One argument in this challenge is that no Christian writer before the 7th century quotes from or makes reference to the text. 

The Roman Emperor Trajan (98 – 117 CE) had recently won a series of victories over the Scyhthians and the Dacians and “…thinking that the religious body of the Christians were yet wanting to complete the subjugation of all things to himself, and [thereupon] threatening them with persecution unless they should agree to worship demons, as did all other nations, thus compelled all who were living godly lives either to sacrifice [to idols] or to die.” [ii]

Ignatius, unwilling to sacrifice to demons and altogether willing to sacrifice himself as a martyr was taken by ship and overland to Rome where he was brought to the coliseum and devoured by wild beasts before a crowd of spectators.  His bones – “only the harder portions of his holy remains were left,” [iii]  were gathered up and taken back to Antioch.

I admire Ignatius – but his eagerness (not just a willingness) to die is surprising, and maybe a little discomforting. Even Jesus, whom Ignatius wanted to imitate, was reluctant to face his own death.  I also admire Russell’s self-critical “I might be wrong…” approach because I know that I have an incomplete understanding of many things.  I can relate to his uneasiness with committing himself absolutely (in death) to a potential error.

There’s probably a balance somewhere between these two – neither a zealous eagerness to die as a martyr, nor a doubting uncertainty, unwilling to commit to a belief.   






[i] The Epistle of Ignatius to the Romans Chap. VI
[ii] The Martyrdom of Ignatius Chap. II
[iii] Chap. VI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails