Pages

google analytics

Monday, August 29, 2011

Lamento Della Ninfa

Lamento Della Ninfa by thatjeffcarter was here


Lamento Della Ninfa (The Nymph’s Lament) is the 18th piece from Cluadio Monteverdi's eighth book of madrigals (Madrigali guerrieri ed amorosi, 1638). The three male voices narrate the story and offer empathy to the nymph as she laments her abandonment.

To make this remixed version of Monteveridi's work I used a couple of samples including Space Violin from the Freesound Project and my trombone.

"Amor", dicea, il ciel
mirando, il piè fermo,
"dove, dov'è la fè
ch'el traditor giurò?"

Miserella !

"Fa' che ritorni il mio
amor com'ei pur fu,
o tu m'ancidi, ch'io
non mi tormenti più."

Miserella, ah più no, no,
tanto gel soffrir non può !

"Non vo' più ch'ei sospiri
se non lontan da me,
no, no che i martiri
più non darammi affè!

Perché di lui mi struggo,
tutt'orgoglioso sta,
che si, che si se'l fuggo
ancor mi pregherà?

Se ciglio ha più sereno
colei, che'l mio non è,
già non rinchiude in seno,
Amor, sí bella fè.

Ne mai sí dolci baci
da quella bocca havrai,
ne più soavi, ah taci,
taci, che troppo il sai."


- Translated-

“O Love,” she said,
Gazing at the sky, as she stood
“Where's the fidelity
That the deceiver promised?”

Poor her!

“Make my love come back
As he used to be
Or kill me, so that
I will not suffer anymore.”

Poor her! She cannot bear
All this coldness!

“I don't want him to sigh any longer
But if he's far from me.
No! He will not make me suffer
Anymore, I swear!

He's proud
Because I languish for him.
Perhaps if I fly away from him
He will come to pray to me again?

If her eyes are more serene
Than mine,
O Love, she does not hold in her heart
A fidelity so pure as mine.

And you will not receive from those lips
Kisses as sweet as mine,
Nor softer. Oh, don't speak.
Don't speak! You know better than that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails