Pages

google analytics

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

We'll Speak Very Softly on This, Another Snowy Day


Another Snowy Day in my backyard
 I've found a new (to me) Christmas carol.  It's called Falade Ben Baixo (We'll Speak Very Softly).

It's a traditional Galician carol (northwestern Spain - with a language from the same roots as Portuguese).

We'll speak very softly
and lower our voices
before the dear Savior
who Heaven rejoices.
O my beloved,
could I but hold thee,
how great my gladness,
holiest rapture!
How great thy blessing,
falling upon me!

My beloved, my heart's joy,
my beloved, how are you?
From the cold I see you trembling,
and it grieves me through and through;
from the cold I see you trembling
and it grieves me through and through.



Here's a short sample of it - #9

Though of course, it's unlikely that Jesus was born in the cold of winter. If we're to take literally that the shepherds were out in the fields with their flocks then it was probably lambing season - in the spring...
and not in December (which is the rainy season in Israel).

Thank you to those who have contributed to the Salvation Army kettles - especially to those who've donated online via this handy-dandy virtual kettle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails