Pages

google analytics

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Touchdown Jesus Burns to the Ground

A couple of weeks ago my family and I were on vacation in Ohio (you're jealous, I know).  As we drove to our destination we passed what is quite possibly the largest and ugliest piece of Christian kitsch I have ever seen - the Touch Down Jesus.

The Touch Down Jesus (officially named the King of Kings statue) was a 62-foot tall statue of Jesus on the east side of Interstate 75 at the Solid Rock Church, a 4000+ member Christian megachurch near Monroe, Ohio.  It cost $250,000 to build.

In addition to "Touchdown Jesus" the King of Kings statue was known by a number of other nicknames includeing:  "Super Jesus," "Big Butter Jesus,"  "MC 62 Foot Jesus" (a reference to the musician MC 900 ft. Jesus). 
This thing was hideous.

The operative word there being WAS.

The body of the statue was made of styrofoam and covered by a thin skin of fiberglass around a metal frame.
  
I realize that there is no accounting for taste.  What I like in art is not appreciated by all.  The beauty I see is not always apprecited by others.  But shouldn't there be some sort of standard?  Especially for religious art?  It bothers me to see the majesty and glory of God in Christ Jesus reduced to this kind of flea-market kitsch
  

It may be that I share this opinion with the Divine (who at some point gave a command about graven images...)

On June 14th the statue was apparently struck by lightning and was almost completely burned away.  Only the metal frame remained after the blaze.

The good folks at Solid Rock Church probably feel grief at its loss.  I can't say that I do. 


 

(click on the pictures to see them full sized.  they're worth a full sized chuckle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails